Between 1950 and 1951 Piaggio develops a three-seat basic drill aeroplane, as well as a single-engine two-seat acrobatic one with an entirely metal strcture, abreast seats, low wings and a fixed rear three-wheel undercarriage. The first 70 aeroplanes were produced for the Italian Airforce, which used them in 1952 at the Scuola 3° Periodo in Lecce. Later on, in 1962, eight Piaggio P 148 aeroplanes were transferred to Somalia. In 1953 a five-seat version with a more powerful engine and a retractable undercarriage –the P 149- was developed by Piaggio and used by the German Airforce for training and connections, as well as for tourism and civil use. It was sold in Nigeria, Tanzania, and Uganda.